Henry V Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- What are King Henry's motives for invading France? (Tip: When answering this question, don't just take Henry's word for it, because he might not necessarily be telling the truth.)
- If Shakespeare showed up at a political rally holding a hand-painted sign the night before the Battle of Agincourt, what would his sign say? (In other words, discuss the play's overall attitude toward warfare. Is Henry V pro-war, anti-war, or some weird combination of both?)
- What's up with Shakespeare killing off Falstaff? (Also, why the heck did he do it off-stage?) Would the play have been different if Falstaff had lived? Why or why not?
- Compare and contrast Wild Prince Hal (from Henry IV Part 1 and Part 2) to the man he has become in Henry V.
- Compare the play to a modern film about warfare, like, say, 300 or Saving Private Ryan.
- Can the play's portrayal of the Battle of Agincourt teach us anything about modern warfare? (For example, what are the parallels, if any, between Henry's decision to invade France and George W. Bush's decision to invade Iraq in 2003?)
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...