Hills Like White Elephants
by Ernest Hemingway
The American Man Timeline and Summary
- The American enters the bar with Jig and they have drinks.
- After some conversation that veers on fighting, he begins trying to convince Jig to have an abortion.
- He continues to pressure her after she’s made it clear she doesn’t want one, and even after she makes it plain that she can’t talk to him about it any more.
- When he hears that the train is near, he moves their bags to where it will arrive, and has another drink in the bar before going back to Jig.
- When she smiles at him, he asks her if she’s feeling better now.