The Hobbit, or, There and Back Again
by J.R.R. Tolkien
The Hobbit, or, There and Back Again Chapter 6 Summary
How It All Goes Down
Out of the Frying Pan, Into the Fire
- Bilbo has come out the other side of the Misty Mountains.
- But what is he supposed to do next? He's alone in the middle of the wild!
- Fortunately, as he walks along, he soon overhears arguing voices: it's the dwarves and Gandalf.
- He decides to sneak up on them and give the group a bit of a surprise.
- So Bilbo puts his ring on and walks right up to their fire before announcing, "And here's the burglar!" (6.13).
- Everyone is very impressed by Bilbo's skills.
- But they're not out of the woods yet: the goblins will come hunting the dwarves when night comes, so they have to find some place safe.
- After a long evening of travel, they stumble into a moonlit clearing.
- They hear wolves howling nearby.
- Gandalf tells everyone, "Up the trees quick!" (6.52).
- They all get up into the trees just in time to avoid being eaten by Wargs – "for so the evil wolves over the Edge of the Wild are named" (6.59).
- The Wargs keep pouring in to the clearing. They're waiting for the goblins to arrive.
- Gandalf starts setting pine cones on fire and hurling them like grenades at the Wargs in the clearing.
- The sounds of the Wargs "howling [...] crying and yammering" (6.65) attracts the attention of the Lord of the Eagles.
- The Lord of the Eagles gathers a bunch of his eagle friends and flies out to investigate.
- Meanwhile, the burning Wargs have been running around setting the clearing on fire.
- So, all the dwarves, Gandalf, and Bilbo are caught in burning trees.
- The goblins have arrived, and they are dancing around these trees singing, "Bake and toast 'em, fry and roast 'em! / till beards blaze and eyes glaze" (6.75). (Eep!)
- Luckily, before these horrible things happen, the eagles swoop in and rescue our friends.
- Gandalf is friends with the Lord of the Eagles, so the Lord of the Eagles agrees to bring them all far away from the Misty Mountains.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...