Holes Chapter 14 Summary
- The next morning, Stanley asks X-Ray if he has the gold tube, but X-Ray just gets angry. Huh?
- Then, when Mr. Pendanski comes with the water truck, X-Ray doesn't say anything about the tube. But wait! As Mr. Pendanski is about to drive away, X-Ray calls him over and tells him that he's found something.
- Mr. P looks it over and tells the boys that he thinks the Warden will like it. Fingers crossed. He drives off, returning a few minutes later with the Warden.
- The Warden is a woman: she's tall with red hair and freckles, a black cowboy hat, and black cowboy boots. Just picture it. Seriously, picture it.
- She asks X-Ray where he found the tube, and then – you guessed it – grants him the day off. She tells Mr. Pendanski to drive X-Ray back to camp, let him take a double shower, and give him some clean clothes.
- But first, she tells him to fill all the boys' canteens. When Mr. P protests that he just filled them, the Warden gives him a verbal slapdown. If he doesn't learn to follow her orders without question, she'll have him start digging holes and let Stanley fill the canteens.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search