by Louis Sachar
Holes Chapter 32 Summary
- Two days later, a new kid takes Zero's place in D Tent: his name is Twitch, and he was arrested for stealing cars. That's a big time crime.
- Stanley keeps thinking about Zero, wondering if he made it to God's thumb and if he's even still alive. He pictures Zero crawling across the ground, dying of thirst. (We'd rather not think about it.)
- The next morning, Stanley is still thinking about Zero when Mr. Sir comes by with the water truck. In a moment of desperate inspiration, Stanley has the idea to steal the water truck and go out to find Zero.
- Wasting no time, Stanley jumps into the truck and turns it on. He's never driven before, but with Twitch shouting some advice at him, he manages to drive it a short distance. That is, until he drives straight into a hole.
- Stanley thinks that, for once, he can't blame his dirty-rotten-no-good-pig-stealing-great-great-grandfather, because this time it was completely his fault that things went wrong. We can't help but smile when he says this.
- With Mr. Sir staring after him in shock, Stanley runs off, his empty canteen slapping against his chest.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...