Holes Chapter 34 Summary
- Stanley keeps walking, wondering if he's already gone too far to make it back alive. He thinks he sees a pool of water in the distance, but it turns out to be a mirage. The heat is really getting to him.
- After a while, he thinks he sees the shape of the mountains in the distance, and he walks toward the Big Thumb.
- Trucking along, he sees an object in the distance. It's a bit to the right of the Big Thumb, but he decides to walk toward it anyway and see what it is. When he reaches the object, he thinks, he'll turn around and go back to camp. It's a plan.
- But as he approaches, he realizes the thing he's walking toward is an overturned boat, half buried in the dirt. The boat's name is painted on its side: Mary Lou.
- Are you thinking what we're thinking?
- Stanley notices a tunnel leading underneath the boat, and he hears a noise coming from within. He shouts, hoping to scare whatever is under the boat and keep it from coming out. He doesn't need another lizard encounter, that's for sure.
- "Hey," a weak voice answers, and a hand emerges from under the boat.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search