by Louis Sachar
Holes Chapter 44 Summary
- The boys rest in their hiding holes until the camp is asleep. Then they make their way to the hole where Stanley found the lipstick. Stanley begins to dig while Zero goes to refill the water jars at the spigot in the shower: they only have the one shovel, after all.
- Zero returns with fresh water and some boxes of cereal. Then he takes a turn digging.
- When they switch places again, Stanley wonders how much more time they have. They still haven't found anything.
- (Sorry, we just wanted to make you wait for it.) Stanley uncovers something that feels like the side of a metal box (!). He has to dig very carefully so the hole doesn't cave in, and as he uncovers more of it, he thinks it may be some kind of metal suitcase.
- Finally, he's able to pry it loose and hand it up to Zero, who's waiting just above the hole.
- But before Stanley is able to pull himself out of the hole to join Zero, a bright light shines in his face.
- Uh oh.
- "Thank you," he hears the Warden say. "You boys have been a big help" (44.51).
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...