Holes Chapter 45 Summary
- The Warden, Mr. Pendanski, and Mr. Sir are all gathered around the hole, each with a flashlight. Zero is sitting at the edge of the hole with the suitcase on his knees.
- Suddenly, everyone notices that there's a yellow-spotted lizard on top of the suitcase. A second lizard crawls over the suitcase and up Zero's arm.
- Mr. Pendanski shines his flashlight onto Stanley, revealing a nest of lizards in the hole: there are several on the ground, a few on Stanley's leg, and one crawling up the back of his neck.
- The Warden says that now, they just need to wait. It won't be long.
- "At least we'll have a body to give that woman," Mr. Pendanski says (45.20).
- As readers, we don't know who "that woman" is, but Mr. Sir says that next time she comes she'll have a lot of questions – and she'll have the Attorney General with her.
- The Warden says that she doesn't care about the questions, as long as she has the treasure. Turns out our not-so-beloved Warden has been digging holes ever since she was a little girl.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...