Home Burial Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- What do you think happens to the couple after the end of the poem, and why?
- Which character in this poem do you identify with more, and why?
- Do you agree with what the woman says in lines 101-109, that no matter what people pretend, everyone dies alone? Why, or why not?
- Which character do you think has the most power in this relationship? Does the power shift as the poem progresses? How so?
- Do you agree or disagree with the woman's disgust at the man's manner of digging their son's grave (lines 75-92)? What's your reasoning?
- What's the effect of having most of the poem in dialogue? Would you have rather come at it from the wife's perspective? Or the husband's?
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search