Horton Hatches the Egg
Horton Hatches the Egg Lines 1-9 Summary
Egg-Sitter Needed, Apply Within
- The scene: a jungle.
- Meet Mayzie, the bird. She's bored and she's lazy. She's up in a tree, in her nest, sitting on her egg.
- Think sitting on an egg all day and night waiting for it to hatch is easy? Well, according to Mayzie, it just isn't.
- She's got "kinks in [her] leg" (3) for one thing.
- This whole egg hatching business is pure "work" (5). What she wants is that other thing—"play" (6).
- She needs is a good egg-sitter, so she can take a little vacation and have some fun. Anthropomorphism Alert!
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...