Horton Hatches the Egg
by Dr. Seuss
Horton Hatches the Egg Lines 10-31 Summary
- Before Mayzie can say "Craigslist," along comes Horton the Elephant, passing right by her tree.
- Laying on the charm, Mayzie asks Horton to take over the hatching process while she takes a "rest" (12).
- This idea doesn't quite gel with Horton. His objections are that (a) he doesn't have wings, and (b) the egg is tiny and he's enormous. Fair assessment, we'd say.
- Mayzie resorts to flattery, claiming that Horton's kindness and gentleness qualifies him for the job.
- Horton doesn't fall for it.
- To sweeten the deal, Mayzie promises to be back before he even knows she's gone.
- Finally, Horton agrees, telling her, "You want a vacation. Go fly off and take it./ I'll sit on your egg and I'll try not to break it./ I'll stay and be faithful. I mean what I say." (28-31)
- Almost instantly, Mayzie flies off.
- Well that was easy peasy.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...