Horton Hatches the Egg
Horton Hatches the Egg Lines 203-213 Summary
The Big Pay-Off
- What a spectacular moment for the circus.
- The spectators have never seen anything like this. Before they were laughing, but now they cheer. Cheer, we say!
- "It's something brand new!/IT'S AN ELEPHANT-BIRD!!" (Note the rare double exclamation point. How 'bout them apples?)
- No longer is Horton the butt of their jokes. Now he's earned their respect and their admiration.
- And his faithfulness doesn't escape their attention. They say: "And it should be, it should be, it SHOULD be like that!/ Because Horton was faithful! He sat and he sat!/ He meant what he said/ And he said what he meant" (210-213).
- From the angry look on Mayzie's face, we gather she knows that public opinion has swayed in Horton's favor.
- Who could resist the cuteness of the elephant-bird perched on Horton's trunk as they look lovingly into each other's eyes?
- Only Mayzie.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...