The Host Chapter 16 Summary
How It All Goes Down
- Caught in the fracas with Jared, Ian, Kyle, and Brandt (who we've never seen before), Wanderer gets punched in the shoulder and yanked around a bit. All that protecting Jared she wanted to do? Doesn't really happen.
- Before things get too rough, Jeb shows up and breaks up the fight.
- He says that Jared gets to decide whether Wanderer lives or dies. "Whoever the body belongs to makes the call" (16.51).
- (Wait, what? Why does this woman's body belong to Jared?)
- Jared can't make up his mind right away, so Jeb decides to stand guard outside Wanderer's cell while she sleeps.
- She wakes up to the smell of food on a plastic tray. Jeb has served her breakfast before he takes her on a tour of the caves.
- As they navigate the caverns, a lot of humans, including Sharon and Aunt Maggie, give Wanderer the hairy eyeball.
- The tour winds up as Jeb tells Wanderer that he accidentally stumbled into this cave in the seventies, and he's kept it a secret ever since, just in case. The moral of this story: crazy conspiracy theories pay off.
Next Page: Chapter 17
Previous Page: Chapter 15