by Stephenie Meyer
The Host Chapter 24 Summary
How It All Goes Down
- The day after farm day, Jeb escorts Wanda to the bathing room. She hasn't bathed since she arrived in the caves, and she looks pretty gnarly.
- After cleaning up, she bumps into Ian, who is waiting his turn in the bathing room. He apologizes, although Wanda isn't sure if he's apologizing for scaring her just then or punching her in the face about a week ago.
- As the days pass, Wanda helps out with chores—kneading bread, cleaning mirrors—in silence, because no one aside from Jeb, Ian, and Jamie will talk to her. Everyone else is merely tolerating her.
- Wanda's pretty sure that by the time Jeb starts sending her on unescorted errands, he's just trying to get her killed. But he reveals that he and Doc are trying to protect her, and get everyone else acclimated to her.
- "Strange world, isn't it?" (24.133) he says to her. "The strangest," (22.135) she responds.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...