by Stephenie Meyer
The Host Chapter 27 Summary
How It All Goes Down
- Wanda flees to the safest place she knows: the prison hole.
- Unfortunately, it's filled with food. Real food, like "chocolate chip cookies. Potato chips. [And] Cheetos." (27.16) We did not italicize that. She italicized Cheetos on her own. We can feel the drool through the pages.
- Wanda resists tearing open bags of Cheetos and diving into them face first. Instead, she and Melanie have a long internal dialogue about whether they should try to escape or not.
- They're interrupted when Jamie arrives. He says he'll protect Wanda from whatever happens.
- It's time for him to prove it fairly quickly, as Jared shows up within a few minutes.
- There's some fighting, and Jamie tries to protect Wanda.
- Jared is not into that. He throws Jamie aside and then slams Wanda against the wall and into a stack of boxes. Oh yes, there's the Prince Charming we missed.
- Jamie honors his word, however, when he stands up and punches Jared in the face. Shpla-dow!
- Leaving Jared's nose a bloody mess, Jamie runs away. Jared follows. Wanda, tired from getting beat up yet again, falls asleep face-first in a bag of rice. Don't let the rice mites bite!
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...