The Host Chapter 3 Summary
How It All Goes Down
- Wanderer asks if she was put inside a defective host in order to gain information.
- She's told that her host wasn't damaged, but she was part of the human resistance (chapter title alert!). So, information might be a little harder to gather than usual.
- As Wanderer's vision becomes clearer, and she starts taking in all the colors in the room, the Healer tells her a story.
- Once upon a time, a soul called Racing Song was taken over by its host body.
- It started when Racing Song took on the body's host name, Kevin. It ended when the host tried to cut the soul from its body.
- Kevin was rescued and put into a new host: "Kevin is […] perfectly normal … aside from the fact that he kept the name Kevin" (3.73). (Sorry, all you Kevins out there.)
- Wanderer has been put into this body, instead of the body of a child, to gather information the Seeker really wants.
- When she asks why the Seeker wasn't put into the body instead, she responds, "I'm no skipper" (3.80).
- She must prefer to be Gilligan. Or Mr. Howell.
- Wanderer gives in, telling the Seeker all she knows so far: her name is Melanie Stryder, she was looking for her cousin Sharon in Chicago, and there's a mysterious pattern or map she hasn't figured out yet.
- Suddenly, a question bursts out of her: "Did they find Sharon?" (3.95). But Wanderer didn't ask this, Melanie did.
- Melanie is relieved that Sharon is still safe. She's also relieve that they didn't find him.
- When asked who "him" is, Wanderer says, "Jared is safe" (3.115).
- Maybe the face Wanderer saw back in Chapter 1 was this one.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Here Be Monsters! An Adventure Involving Magic, Trolls, and Other Creatures; The Ratbridge Chronicles Volume 1 - Learning Guide
Noodle's College Search