by Stephenie Meyer
The Host Chapter 31 Summary
How It All Goes Down
- Jamie explains that this Gladys person was Walter's deceased wife. Wanda plays along to comfort him until he falls back asleep.
- In the morning, he recognizes Wanda as Wanda, and he thanks her for keeping him company.
- Some of the other cave dwellers aren't as grateful that "the parasite" (31.103) was so close to Walter.
- They're a little on edge because a helicopter is flying around. The Seeker is looking for Wanda, and some people, like Kyle and Brandt, think Wanda is helping her somehow.
- Brandt wants to tie Wanda up, but Doc needs her to stay and comfort Walter.
- Like a helicopter parent, the Seeker hovers around but accomplishes very little before turning around and going home.
- Now that that complete lack of drama... er, we mean, EMERGENCY! is over, Doc reveals that they're planning to give Walter a double dose of morphine to euthanize him with minimal pain.
- She wants to be with him before he dies, but Doc encourages her to take a walk first to clear her mind. Off she goes!
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...