by Stephenie Meyer
The Host Chapter 34 Summary
How It All Goes Down
- Jared punches Kyle in the face and knocks him right back out again. Good. We can only take conscious Kyle in small doses.
- Even though Jared defended Wanda by punching Kyle, he still insists on calling Wanda "it."
- She's not having it: "I am female … In my species, I am the one that bears young. Is that not female enough for you?" (34.15, 20). Then she explains her species' reproduction process. Good, glad we got that straightened out.
- After Wanda's sex-ed lesson, Walter wakes up. Just in time for his own funeral.
- They gather all Walter's best cave friends and euthanize him with morphine.
- He dies holding Wanda's hands. Um, where are our tissues?
- Wanda tries not to cry. Before she can really get the tears flowing, though, someone jabs her with a needle. Whoa, did Doc just Kevorkian Wanda, too?
- Nope. Whew. He just put her to sleep since she hadn't slept in a few days.
- She wakes up outside the caves at Walter's funeral ceremony. Everyone says a few words, including Kyle who uses Walter's death to make a statement about how human Walter was and how humans are so superior, etc. etc.
- Wanda gives a touching eulogy, and Walter is buried in the desert.
- They're still paranoid about Wanda knowing her way through the caves, so Wanda suggests they blindfold her before leading her back inside. Maybe they'll play Pin the Tail on the Donkey later!
- Instead, they stick her with some morphine again. Ouch!
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...