The Host Chapter 4 Summary
How It All Goes Down
- We shift into sans-serif present-tense voice for another Melanie memory.
- In this memory, Melanie is scrounging for food in a stranger's house because Jamie (we don't know who this is yet) is hungry.
- She pulls apples, baby carrots, and more out of a fridge.
- A man interrupts her scavenging and they fight, each one thinking the other is a body snatcher.
- When he shines a light into Melanie's eye, he realizes she's human... and kisses her.
- It's her first kiss! After she gets over this little squee! moment, she realizes that this guy is a total creeper and knees him in the baby carrot.
- She runs, but he chases her. He tells her his name is Jared Howe, and she's the first human he's seen in two years.
- Since they just might be the last man and woman on Earth, they smooch some more and decide to stay with each other forever.
- Seems logical.
- Jared goes to get his truck to take Melanie back to Jamie, who turns out to be her brother. Melanie thinks "I will wait here if it takes him all night" (4.108).
- Twue Love, Shmoopers.
- Wanderer wakes up from this memory and sends an e-mail to the Seeker, letting her know about Jamie and where he might be located.
- Needless to say, Melanie is not happy. She tells Wanderer that she hates her, but not having a body, she can't really do much else.
Next Page: Chapter 5
Previous Page: Chapter 3