The Host Chapter 5 Summary
How It All Goes Down
- Wanderer decides to have a serious sit-down talk with her Comforter.
- Okay, we're going to stop doing chapter title alerts now. But keep your eyes out, because they're all there.
- No, she hasn't totally lost it, talking to a down-filled blanket. Her Comforter is like her therapist, and her name is Kathy. Kathy the Comforter.
- They introduce many of the novel's themes: identity, community, compassion, and memory. We won't rehash their whole conversation here. Trek over the "Themes" page for more insight.
- At the end of their conversation, Wanderer is resolved to eliminate her body of Melanie: "I wanted myself. I wouldn't let what was mine be destroyed" (5.108).