The Host Chapter 59 Summary
How It All Goes Down
- This chapter begins with something we haven't seen in a while: a present-tense memory sequence. Although this one doesn't seem like it's Melanie's. In fact, Melanie is in it. So's Jared. It's like a family reunion! Is this what heaven is like?
- The reunion is over and heaven dissipates as Wanda wakes up.
- She experiences a lot of disorientation, trying to figure out what's going on. Jamie's there. And Ian. But things feel different, and Wanda has all sorts of memories that aren't hers. They belong to a soul named Petals Open to the Moon.
- Ian hands her a mirror, and she looks into it. She's in a different body, the body of a sixteen-year-old girl.
- It turns out that while Wanda was cryotanked, Melanie, Jared, and Jamie went out to find her a new body. Petals was evicted back into space and Wanda is the new leaseholder of this body.
- After Wanda regains all her senses, it's time for a new one: Ian plants a kiss on her right in front of everyone, and Wanda is glad she gets to stay on Earth.