Macabéa Timeline and Summary
- Macabéa is born with rickets in the backwoods of Alagoas, Brazil. This is off to a good start.
- And then her parents die of typhoid when she is two years old. Like we said ….
- Macabéa has to go and live with her Wicked Aunt of the West, who tortures and abuses her for years.
- When her aunt finally dies, Macabéa moves to Rio de Janeiro, works as a typist, and lives with four other girls in a bedsitter on Acre Street.
- But life doesn't get better. Actually, it gets harder. Awesome! Macabéa suffers from poverty and hunger and illness.
- Okay, so now Macabéa meets Olímpico, her first and only boyfriend. Could things be looking up?
- Nah. Olímpico is a real jerk and mistreats Macabéa until he dumps her for hottie coworker Glória.
- Naturally, Macabéa takes Glória's advice and visits a fortuneteller to learn about her future.
- Madame Carlota tells Macabéa that her life is about to take a 180, and Macabéa walks out full of hope.
- Okay, so this time things are looking up. Right?
- Wrong. Macabéa walks out of the fortuneteller's home, steps into the street, and a huge yellow Mercedes runs her over.
- She lies in a gutter on the side of the road.
- It starts to rain.
- People gather around her but do nothing to help her.
- She dies.