The House of Dies Drear
by Virginia Hamilton
The House of Dies Drear Chapter 13 Summary
- Thomas and Mr. Small walk toward Mr. Pluto's house, taking the same journey Thomas took before. He pretends they are Tuscarora Indians, and that Mr. Small is the chief.
- As they move, he worries that they might be ambushed.
- It's dark and scary, and once Thomas falls down.
- They come upon Mr. Pluto's cave, all lit by torches.
- Mr. Pluto is walking back and forth, and Thomas is pretty sure he doesn't see them.
- Something about Pluto doesn't seem quite right to Thomas.
- Mr. Small calls out to Pluto and then Mr. Pluto disappears!
- Amazed, Thomas points out that Mr. Pluto did not look sick at all like he did in church.
- He looked strong, and he was even smoking a cigarette.
- Mr. Small opens the door to the cave, and he and Thomas enter.
- They find themselves in a tunnel.
- The cave has a rough ceiling, but other than that, the cave looks like a fairly normal room.
- Still, Thomas had never seen a room inside a cave.
- It seems that Mr. Pluto has disappeared, but Thomas is sure he's just hiding.
- He looks carefully around the room until he sees a rope hanging from the ceiling.
- Mr. Small sees it at the same time.
- He pulls it and the wall slides open, revealing something amazing (which you have to go to the next chapter to read about).
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...