The House on Mango Street
The House on Mango Street Chapter 28 Summary
- A boy named Sire stares at Esperanza every time she passes his house. He makes Esperanza feel all funny inside.
- Papa calls Sire a punk, and Mama says not to talk to him.
- Sire has a girlfriend named Lois. Esperanza admires her tiny, painted toenails and feminine hands and makeup. But she notices that Lois doesn't know how to tie her shoes.
- Esperanza watches Sire and Lois together and wonders about what they do together. Mama says "those kinds of girls […] are the ones that go into alleys" (28.3).
- Esperanza feels like "everything is waiting to explode like Christmas" (28.4). She wants to sit out with boys and know what it's like to be held and kissed.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search