The House on Mango Street Chapter 30 Summary
No Speak English
- The man across the street from Esperanza's house works day and night to save the money to bring his wife and child to the United States.
- One day Mamacita and the baby boy arrive in a taxi. She's huge and beautiful, dressed all in pink.
- Mamacita never comes down from the third floor apartment. Esperanza thinks it's because she doesn't speak much English.
- Mamacita only knows three phrases in English: "He not here," "No speak English," and "Holy smokes."
- When Esperanza's father first came to the United States, he ate "hamandeggs" for three moths, because it was the only thing he knew how to say (30.7).
- Mamacita stays at home all day, listening to Spanish radio and singing songs about her country. She's homesick for her pink house.
- Sometimes her husband grows impatient with Mamacita, and yells at her to speak English, because the United States is her home now.
- The baby boy begins to learn English from the commercials he sees on T.V. Mamacita tells him, over and over again, "No speak English" (30.17).
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...