The House on Mango Street
Cite This Page
The House on Mango Street Chapter 32 Summary Page 1
- Sally is a beautiful girl who goes to Esperanza's school. Her father is very strictly religious, and won't let Sally go out.
- Sally wears makeup and sophisticated black clothes. Esperanza wants to be like her.
- Sally used to be best friends with Cheryl, until the day Cheryl called her a name and the girls got in a fight.
- The boys tell stories about Sally in the coatroom, but Esperanza doesn't believe them.
- Sally always goes straight home after school, pulling off her makeup and pulling down her skirt.
- Esperanza wonders if Sally sometimes wishes she didn't have to go home, but could go instead to a room all her own, where she could be herself and not have to worry about what people think of her.