The House on Mango Street
Cite This Page
The House on Mango Street Chapter 40 Summary Page 1
- Sally's not even in eighth grade yet when she gets married to a marshmallow salesman.
- Esperanza thinks Sally got married to escape. (Remember Sally's scary father? It's understandable that she'd want to get away from him.)
- Sally lives in a house now, and claims to be happy. But sometimes her husband gets angry and violent.
- Sally's husband won't let Sally talk on the phone, look out the window, or receive visits from her friends.
- Sally stays at home, because she's afraid to leave the house without her husband's permission.