The House on Mango Street Chapter 42 Summary
Alicia & I Talking on Edna's Steps
- Alicia listens to Esperanza as she expresses her sadness over not having a home of which she's proud.
- Alicia says that, like it or not, Esperanza is Mango Street, and that one day she'll return to it.
- Esperanza says she'll never return to Mango Street until someone makes it better.
- Alicia asks Esperanza who's going to make it better. The mayor?
- The thought of the mayor coming to Mango Street makes Esperanza laugh. She knows the mayor will never do anything to help the people of Mango Street.