The House on Mango Street
The House on Mango Street Chapter 6 Summary
Our Good Day
- Two girls approach Esperanza and try to convince her to chip in five dollars for a bicycle. Cathy tells Esperanza not to talk to them because they "smell like a broom," but Esperanza likes them (6.6). Cathy is clearly a snob.
- Esperanza runs inside and gets five dollars from her and her sister's savings, even though she knows it will mean the end of her brief friendship with Cathy.
- The two girls introduce themselves as Lucy and Rachel, from Texas.
- Rachel decides that the girls will take turns owning the bicycle, but today everyone wants to ride it together, since it's new.
- Lucy pedals, Esperanza sits behind her, and Rachel sits on the handlebars. The girls ride down the street and around the block, laughing.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search