The House on Mango Street
Cite This Page
The House on Mango Street Chapter 9 Summary Page 1
- Meme Ortiz and his family move into Cathy's old house when she moves away.
- Meme's real name is Juan. He has a sheepdog who also has two names – one in English, and one in Spanish.
- The house Meme moves into was built by Cathy's father. The floors slant, and the wooden steps are lopsided.
- In the backyard is a huge tree. From its branches you can see the whole neighborhood.
- The neighborhood kids hold the First Annual Tarzan Jumping Contest from the tree. Meme wins, but breaks both his arms in the process.