by Allen Ginsberg
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- Why was this poem censored?
- Is there a point to Ginsberg's outrage, or is he just letting off steam?
- What is the poem's attitude toward religion? Would you consider this to be a "religious poem"?
- Why do you think so many people who don't usually like poetry love this poem?
- Does Howl celebrate drug use or condemn it?
- What do you think is the single most striking image of the poem in your mind, and why?
- Do you think the poem's political views are admirable or irresponsible? How might a political opponent respond to Howl?
- What did you learn about Beat culture in general from reading the poem?
- Are there elements of humor in this poem, or is the poem completely dominated by anger and sadness?
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...