Howl's Moving Castle
Howl's Moving Castle Chapter 12 Summary
In Which Sophie Becomes Howl's Old Mother
- Sophie gets all dressed up for her meeting with the King; she, Howl, and Michael head to Kingsbury.
- They're going to visit Howl's old tutor first before going to the palace.
- Mrs. Pentstemmon's house is very grand and beautiful, and though Mrs. Pentstemmon is elderly and frail, she is also very grand and imposing.
- She sends Howl off so that she can talk to his "mother," Sophie.
- As soon as Howl is out of the room, Mrs. Pentstemmon warns Sophie that Howl is going bad.
- For one thing, he's wearing a suit with a subtle charm sewn into it to attract ladies—and that's black magic.
- Sophie is confused: How could she have missed a charm in the suit she spent all that time sewing?
- Mrs. Pentstemmon has always been impressed by Howl's smarts, but something has happened to him, something that is corrupting him into a bad magician like the Witch of the Waste.
- Sophie suddenly realizes what Mrs. Pentstemmon is sensing: Howl's contract with Calcifer is hurting him.
- Mrs. Pentstemmon tells Sophie that it's her responsibility to break Howl's contract.
- After all, with her strong magic gift—
- Sophie is like what?
- Mrs. Pentstemmon finally explains: Sophie's gift is to bring things to life by talking to them.
- Sophie finally gets it: it's her sewing-and-talking routine that enchanted Howl's gray-and-scarlet suit.
- Sophie feels responsible for Howl's power over Lettie and Miss Angorian.
- Next up, it's time for Sophie to badmouth Howl to the King of Ingary.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...