Howl's Moving Castle
Howl's Moving Castle Chapter 3 Summary
In Which Sophie Enters Into a Castle and a Bargain
- Sophie goes to two different, giant black doors to the castle, but neither of them will open.
- Eventually, she finds a small back door, which opens even as the castle is moving away from her.
- Sophie quickly shoves her way in and finds herself in the Wizard Howl's kitchen.
- (You can tell it's a wizard's kitchen because of the skull and obviously magical stuff hanging around.)
- There is a boy in the kitchen and he introduces himself as Michael, Howl's apprentice; Howl is away for the night.
- Michael obviously wants Sophie to leave, but she insists on sitting by the fire and waiting until Howl gets back. (Wow, turning old has made Sophie grow some gumption.)
- After all, she needs to sleep somewhere—and next to Wizard Howl's fire seems like as good a place as any.
- Sophie jerks awake in the middle of the night.
- She looks into the fire and imagines she sees a blue face there.
- Of course, this is a wizard's house, so she's obviously not imagining it: the blue face belongs to a fire demon.
- The demon can see that Sophie has two spells on her, one from the Witch of the Waste and one from an unknown source.
- The demon suggests a deal: he'll end the spells on her if Sophie figures out a way to break the fire demon's contract.
- Here's the demon's contract: he is tied to Howl's fireplace, and he does most of the magic to keep the castle moving.
- Sophie agrees to break the contract if the fire demon will help her, and then she falls asleep by the fire again.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search