Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
Pap Timeline and Summary
- Pap shows up in Huck’s room and demands money from him for booze. Fortunately, he can’t get the $6,000 since Huck signed it over to the judge.
- He tells his son that he’s not allowed to get educated, which inspires Huck to work at school.
- Pap officially keeps custody of his son because of a new idealistic judge in town.
- He gets drunk when said judge tries to reform him.
- Pap kidnaps Huck and takes him to a shack by the river, where he routinely gets drunk and abuses his son.
- He plays the poster-child bigot, ranting against the government and against black rights in particular.
- Pap is suspected of Huck’s murder until everyone decides blaming a black man would be a lot easier.
- We find out at the end of the novel that Pap was the dead man Jim found near Jackson’s Island.