A Hunger Artist
by Franz Kafka
The Hunger Artist (a.k.a. The Starvation Artist) Timeline and Summary
- At the peak of his popularity, the artist draws crowds to his performance.
- He is watched by a group of mostly butchers, who ensure that he does not take a bite.
- He starves for a period of forty days.
- At the end of the period, he is led out of his cage to great fanfare, where a small meal has been prepared for him.
- For some unknown reason, the artist's popularity takes a nosedive. No one wants to watch him anymore.
- The artist fires his manager and signs on with a circus.
- At the circus, he can starve for as long as he wants, so long that not even he knows the exact number of days he's been starving.
- Some time later, the circus supervisor finds the artist under some straw in the cage. The artist whispers his last words to the circus supervisor and dies.
- The circus workers bury the artist along with the straw and put a young panther in his cage.