A Hunger Artist
by Franz Kafka
A Hunger Artist Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- The story never tells us why hunger artists all of a sudden become unpopular. Why do you think the hunger artist's act was popular? Why do you think audiences lost interest?
- Do you think the hunger artist is heroic? Why or why not?
- Do you think an act like the hunger artist's would be popular today? Why or why not?
- Have you ever watched or participated in performance art? If so, what's your opinion of it?
- Why do you think the children and adults in the audience have different reactions to the hunger artist's act?
- Have you read any of Kafka's other stories? Maybe The Metamorphosis, for example. If so, how does "The Hunger Artist" compare? Can you trace any similar themes across his works?
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...