The Hunger Games
Cite This Page
The Hunger Games Chapter 20 Summary Page 1
How It All Goes Down
- Katniss feeds Peeta, smooches a little more, and then settles down to keep watch for the night.
- In the morning Peeta's fever is down. Katniss feeds him some berries she's collected, and then Peeta makes her rest while he keeps watch. He strokes her hair as she falls asleep.
- Katniss wakes in the afternoon, a little ticked that she slept so long. She makes Peeta drink water (he still has a fever) and tends to his wounds. His leg looks just awful. Without medicine, it will surely give him blood poisoning and kill him.
- With temperature blazing, Katniss uses some of the hot rocks outside to cook up a stew. She also sets some snares.
- Back at the cave, Peeta asks Katniss to tell him a story. He asks her to tell him about the happiest day she can remember.
- The first thing that comes to mind is hunting with Gale, but this won't go over well with the audience. She decides on the story of Prim's goat, Lady.
- The story? Ahem: Katniss had a bunch of money from selling one of her mother's lockets.
- Wait! Wait! Falsehood alert: The actual reason she had all the money? Gale and Katniss shot a buck in the woods and sold it to the butcher, Rooba. She, of course, couldn't say this on camera (poaching is illegal) so she has to change things up a bit.
- Continuing with the story: Katniss saw the Goat Man at the market who had a goat that is wounded with a mauled shoulder. Knowing it would be good for milk and cheese, she wanted to buy it for Prim.
- The Goat Man said that the butcher, Rooba, was buying her. Rooba showed up and let Katniss buy the goat instead of her.
- Gale and Katniss brought home the goat. Katniss bought a pink ribbon for its neck and Prim was thrilled. She and Mother began brewing up concoctions to heal the goat.
- Peeta says he understands why that day made Katniss happy and she says, yes, the goat was a goldmine. Peeta makes some jests at this. The two spar for a bit and then the trumpets blare.
- Claudius Templesmith, the announcer, invites all tributes to a feast. He says that there will be something at the feast that each of the tributes need in a book bag marked with their district's number.
- Peeta immediately says that Katniss is not going. Katniss objects and the two fight. Peeta says he'll follow her if she goes. Katniss knows he's stubborn enough to do it.
- Katniss goes out to get the soup, which Peeta eats with gusto. As she's washing the pot out, a parachute floats down from the sponsors. What is it? Sleep syrup – to knock Peeta out while she goes to battle it out at the feast.
- Katniss mashes up the sleep syrup with some berries and manages to get Peeta to take it. He realizes what's happening as the syrup knocks him out.