The Hunger Games
by Suzanne Collins
The Hunger Games Theme of Strength and Skill
In the Hunger Games, each candidate has his or her own set of skills and strengths. There's Cato, who has a crazy temper and can snap someone's neck with his bare hands. There's Foxface, the craftiest girl in the whole game. Oh, and let's not forget little Rue who can jump from tree to tree. And, of course, Peeta is a master of camouflage. Then there's our heroine, Katniss, who is amazing with a bow and arrow. She also has a rebellious streak a mile wide, one that impresses the Gamemakers during training. Just like in life, everyone has some kind of strength or skill all their own. What combination of strengths and skills will it take to win the Hunger Games? What is it that really makes someone strong inside of the arena – and out?
Questions About Strength and Skill
- Who is, in your opinion, the strongest tribute in the Hunger Games?
- If you were in the Hunger Games, what would you consider your strongest fighting or survival skills? What sort of score would you earn from the judges?
- Why was Foxface such a good competitor? Why did she die?
- What is Peeta's special skill? If Katniss weren't in the Hunger Games, what kind of a chance would Peeta have of coming out alive?
- What strengths made Katniss the victor?