The Consul Timeline & Summary
- The Consul gets a call from Meina Gladstone informing him that he's been chosen for the Shrike pilgrimage to the Time Tombs of Hyperion.
- Oh, she also lets him know that someone's a spy for the Ousters, a race at war with the Hegemony. Who could it be?
- On the treeship Yggdrasil, the Consul meets the other six pilgrims: Father Lenar Hoyt, Colonel Fedmahn Kassad, the poet Martin Silenus, the scholar Sol Weintraub, the detective Brawne Lamia, and the tree Templar Het Masteen.
- They decide to tell their stories to learn about each other and their connections to the planet Hyperion.
- After The Priest's Tale, the Consul gets the true ending from Father Lenar Hoyt.
- The Yggdrasil lands on Hyperion, and the Consul briefly reunites with his former aide, Theo Lane, now Governor-General of the planet.
- The pilgrims leave Keats, Hyperion's capital, and take a variety of different transports across the planet, listening to each others' stories along the way.
- After they cross the Sea of Grass, they watch as the Ousters shoot down the Yggdrasil, and Het Masteen disappears.
- In Chronos Keep, the Consul tells his story and reveals that he's the Ouster spy.
- Finally, the six pilgrims approach the Time Tombs, glowing eerily in the night, and prepare to confront the Shrike.