I Am the Cheese
I Am the Cheese Chapter 21 Summary
- Adam wakes up in the ditch to the voice of an old man asking if he's all right. He slowly comes to and remembers what happened with the three troublemakers.
- An old woman calls to the man from a car. We learn that this woman, Edna, has had a stroke, and her husband, Arnold is taking her to a doctor's appointment.
- Arnold offers to put Adam's bike in the car and give him a ride. Adam accepts – at this point, he just wants to get to Vermont. (Even if it means getting in a car with total strangers? It was a different world in the '70s.)
- Adam plans on spending the night in Belton Falls to rest up – he knows there's a motel there he can stay in.
- In the car he becomes nauseous, but he sings "The Farmer in the Dell" to himself and looks forward to a good night's sleep.
- He realizes he's fallen asleep when he wakes up in Hookset, the neighboring town to Belton Falls. The couple drops him off there.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search