I Am the Cheese
by Robert Cormier
I Am the Cheese Chapter 21 Summary
- Adam wakes up in the ditch to the voice of an old man asking if he's all right. He slowly comes to and remembers what happened with the three troublemakers.
- An old woman calls to the man from a car. We learn that this woman, Edna, has had a stroke, and her husband, Arnold is taking her to a doctor's appointment.
- Arnold offers to put Adam's bike in the car and give him a ride. Adam accepts – at this point, he just wants to get to Vermont. (Even if it means getting in a car with total strangers? It was a different world in the '70s.)
- Adam plans on spending the night in Belton Falls to rest up – he knows there's a motel there he can stay in.
- In the car he becomes nauseous, but he sings "The Farmer in the Dell" to himself and looks forward to a good night's sleep.
- He realizes he's fallen asleep when he wakes up in Hookset, the neighboring town to Belton Falls. The couple drops him off there.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...