I Am the Cheese
I Am the Cheese Chapter 3 Summary
- We're back on the bike trip, but this time the narrator isn't alone. He's discussing his travel plans with an old man with a road map. The old man is calling the narrator Skipper. (So that makes the old man... Gilligan?)
- The old man's face has red and blue veins; it reminds the narrator of the map itself (gross).
- The narrator finally tells us that he's at a service station, and the conversation continues. They talk about how fast he can bike, when he'll arrive, and where he'll stay.
- Then the old man gets deep. He tells the narrator to be careful: it's impossible to know who's good and who's bad, so he probably shouldn't trust anyone. This guy has been watching too many <em>X-Files</em> reruns.
- The old man comments on the narrator's hat and jacket, which reminds him of his son, who died in World War II.
- The narrator starts to get uncomfortable – he just met the guy and who knows what he'll ask him next – so he decides to leave. He gets on his bike and continues on his way.