[i carry your heart with me(i carry it in]
[i carry your heart with me(i carry it in] Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- What's the point of all the squishing of words and parenthetical clauses in each stanza? How does it affect our reading and interpretation of the poem?
- Why does the speaker remain ambiguous in his diction? What does all the ambiguity contribute to the poem's themes?
- How would you describe the speaker's voice? Does it sometimes sound as if we have more than one voice occurring in the poem? If so, explain the difference.
- Do we have any romantic clichés in the poem? How does Cummings give these clichés a modern twist?
- How does Cummings try to shock us into having "fresh eyes" for his poem? Do these tactics still work for us in the 21st century? Why or why not?
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search