I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
by Maya Angelou
Annie Henderson (Momma) Timeline and Summary
- Maya and Bailey Jr. come to live with Momma when they're just adorable little toddlers.
- One day, Momma hides her son Willie from the KKK.
- And the racism doesn't end there (or ever): some poor white girls come to the store to taunt Momma, but she stays strong.
- The Depression hits Stamps and Momma barters with her customers in order to stay in business.
- Momma is sad when her grandchildren leave with Daddy Bailey, but she's relieved that Uncle Willie will be back in the limelight.
- When the children return to Stamps after Maya's rape, Momma introduces her to Mrs. Flowers. Super nice, right? Oh, but then she beats her for taking the Lord's name in vain (unintentionally).
- Dr. Lincoln refuses to treat Maya, but Momma makes him give her ten dollars, which she uses go to the black dentist in Texarkana. Take that, Dr. Lincoln.
- Momma decides to send the children back to their mother after Bailey Jr. sees a black man who was killed by white men.
- After collecting enough money, Momma takes Maya to Los Angeles and stays there with her for six months.