I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
by Maya Angelou
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings Chapter 11 Summary
- St. Louis just doesn't feel like home to Maya. It's too noisy, too fast, and too modern for her. She'd rather go back to Stamps.
- Bailey Jr. and Maya don't deal well with the move to the new house. Bailey Jr. starts stuttering, and Maya has nightmares. She starts sleeping in her mother's bed—the one she shares with Mr. Freeman—to calm her nerves.
- Warning: this is where things start to get really bad.
- One day, Mr. Freeman exposes himself to Maya and masturbates to ejaculation while holding her. He tells her that she wet the bed, and pours water on the semen that he has spilled there. He also tells her he will kill Bailey Jr. if she tells anyone what happened.
- Even though she is super confused about what happened, Maya misses the hug that Mr. Freeman gave her. He ignores her after the incident; to get his attention, she sits on his lap, and he masturbates against her again before running off to ejaculate.
- Maya wants to be a boy, like the heroes in her adventure novels, and spends nearly every Saturday at the library reading.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...