I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings Chapter 13 Summary
- At the hospital, Bailey Jr. promises that he won't let anyone kill him—she should just tell them who did it. Maya believes that he wouldn't lie, but it's pretty obvious that a nine-year-old boy probably can't take a grown man in a fight.
- Maya spills the beans.
- Mr. Freeman is arrested, and at the trial, Maya testifies against him. He is found guilty.
- Mr. Freeman is only sentenced to a year and a day in jail. He is even released early, but soon after, he is found kicked to death.
- This is the beginning of Maya's depression. She feels super guilty about Mr. Freeman's death, and decides to go mute (i.e., stop talking) so that no one else will die on her watch.
- Maya's silence upsets her relatives, and Bailey and Maya are sent back to Stamps. Way to be caring, guys.