I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
by Maya Angelou
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings Chapter 20 Summary
- Who doesn't love a picnic? Well, Maya, that's who.
- It's the biggest event of the year, and everyone who's anyone in the black part of Stamps is there. But Maya, since she is still a total nerd, would rather be reading than enjoying the picnic.
- When she needs to pee (how many times does she pee in this novel?), Maya goes somewhere to be alone.
- Louise Kendricks, a girl from Maya's school, stumbles into Maya's alone-space. Awkward.
- At first, Maya wants her to leave, but after they play together, Louise becomes Maya's first friend. Friend!
- When Maya is in seventh grade, she receives a Valentine's letter from Tommy (ooh la la). After talking about it with Louise, she rips up the letter. Tommy tries again, but nothing ever comes of it except some awkward giggling.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...