I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings Chapter 21 Summary
- Bailey Jr. starts playing "Momma and Poppa." In case you aren't familiar, that's code word for pretending to have sex. He is ten years old.
- While playing the game, Bailey Jr. meets his first crush, Joyce. She convinces him to stop pretending and actually have sex with her. He is ten years old.
- Joyce hangs around the Store and Bailey steals food for her (how cute) until one day she disappears.
- Bailey Jr. sulks and pretends he doesn't remember her.
- Eventually we learn that she eloped with a railroad porter. Hmmm.
- Bailey Jr. is crushed and Joyce becomes she-who-shall-not-be-named.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...