I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings Chapter 36 Summary
- Maya's sadness over getting pregnant is only slightly lessened by feeling that she can't be a lesbian since she is having a baby. Great.
- She decides to keep it a secret (on Bailey's suggestion) so that she can finish high school. In those nine months, Bailey Jr. comes home, their mother goes to Alaska, and Maya graduates.
- She leaves Daddy Clidell a note saying that she's pregnant and due in three weeks. Her parents are actually pretty cool about it—they don't even get angry.
- The baby boy is born with no problems.
- Maya, always a worrywart, is scared to hold the baby because she is afraid that she might hurt him.
- When the baby is three weeks old, Vivian makes Maya sleep with him. She wakes her up later to show her that she didn't crush the baby, but was actually protecting him in her sleep. Aw.
- (Yep, that's the end.)
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...