I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings Chapter 9 Summary
- Turns out Bailey Jr. was right.
- One year later, Marguerite and Bailey's father, Daddy Bailey, arrives. He is tall, he has a fancy car, and he speaks proper English. This is no small deal.
- Marguerite is excited to see her dad, but as soon as she thinks about being compared to his magnificence, she becomes super self-conscious. When your dad is a hunky celebrity, it's hard being plain and ordinary.
- After three weeks showing off in Stamps, Daddy Bailey announces that he is going back to California and taking the kids with him. Marguerite is both excited and terrified.
- On their way out of town, their father tells them they are going to see their mother, Vivian. Change of plans!
- When they meet their mom, she is beautiful. Too beautiful to be a mother, actually. Bailey instantly falls in love with her. Um? Maya thinks it's because she looks a lot like him.
- After dropping them off, Daddy Bailey heads to California, leaving them to live with their newly discovered mother in St. Louis.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search