The Iceman Cometh
Theodore Hickman (Hickey) Timeline and Summary
- Hickey arrives. This is a big deal, because it doesn’t happen until late in Act I. In fact, the play often goes on for about an hour before Hickey makes his first entrance.
- He starts trying to convince people to act on the pipe dreams they’re always talking about.
- When Hickey organizes and runs Harry’s birthday party, it leads to aggravation in the group.
- Hickey convinces (some would say manipulates) Jimmy Tomorrow and Harry Hope to leave the bar and do what they’ve always said they were going to do.
- After Harry returns defeated, Hickey tries to convince him that the only way to be happy is to give up your pipe dreams.
- Then, he drops a confessional bomb: he killed his wife.
- But he can't just leave it at that. Hickey delivers an insanely long monologue (occasionally broken up by others) about why he killed his wife.
- In the end, Hickey gets carted off to jail.